Directions (Q. 1-5): Study the following information carefully and answer the questions given below.
(i) Seven persons A, B, C, D, E, F and G are teaching seven subjects History, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology and English from Monday to Friday. Each person teaches a different subject and not more than two subjects are taught on any one of the days.
(ii) Chemistry is taught by B on Tuesday.
(iii) D teaches on Friday but neither Geography nor Physics.
(iv) F teaches History but neither on Thursday nor on Friday.
(v) A teaches English on the day on which History is taught.
(vi) C teaches Maths on Monday.
(vii) Geography and Chemistry are taught on the same day.
(viii) G teaches on Thursday.
1. English is taught on which day?
1) Wednesday 2) Monday 3) Tuesday 4) Data inadequate 5) None of these
2. Which of the following subjects is taught by ‘G’?
1) Biology 2) Geography 3) Physics 4) Chemistry 5) None of these
3. Geography is taught on which day?
1) Monday 2) Tuesday 3) Wednesday 4) Thursday 5) Friday
4. Which subject is taught on Friday?
1) Physics 2) History 3) Geography 4) Biology 5) None of these
5. Which of the following pairs of persons teaches on Tuesday?
1) B and D 2) A and B 3) B and F 4) B and C 5) None of these
Directions (Q. 6-10): Study the following information carefully and answer the questions given below it: Six lectures — A, B, C, D, E and F — are to be delivered from Monday to Sunday, one lecture every day.
(i) Lecture C cannot be delivered on Friday.
(ii) Lecture A is delivered immediately after lecture D.
(iii) There should be a gap of two days between the lectures B and F.
(iv) There is one holiday except Saturday. Lecture F is delivered on the next day of holiday.
(v) Lecture E is delivered on Wednesday and it is not immediately followed by lecture F.
6. On which day was lecture D delivered?
1) Friday 2) Saturday 3) Sunday 4) Thursday 5) None of these
7. On which day was holiday?
1) Sunday 2) Friday 3) Monday 4) Can’t be determined 5) None of these
8. How many lectures were delivered between F and D?
1) None 2) One 3) Two 4) Three 5) None of these
9. Which of the following was the last lecture?
1) A 2) C 3) B 4) Can’t be determined 5) None of these
10. Which of the following statements is not necessary to determine the order of lectures?
1) (i) 2) (ii) 3) (v) 4) (i) and (ii) 5) All statements are necessary
(1-5):Here Seven persons are: A, B, C, D, E, F and G.
Seven subjects are: History, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology and English.
Subjects are taught on: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Now let us proceed with direct information.
From clues (ii), (vi) and (viii), we get
From, Table 2, it is obvious that E teaches Geography on Tuesday.
Now, History and English are not taught on Tuesday, Monday,
Thursday and Friday. Therefore, History and English are taught on Wednesday.
Again, from Table 2, it is obvious that D teaches either Physics or Biology. But, from clue (iii), D does not teach Physics. Hence,
D teaches Biology. By elimination, G teaches Physics.
Hence, the obtained information can be summarised as below:
1.1 , 2.3 , 3.2 , 4.4 , 5. 5; B and E
(6 to 10)
From clue (v):Lecture E is delivered on Wednesday. And
the lecture F was not delivered on Thursday.
Again, from clue (iv): Tuesday and Saturday were not
holiday. From direction part it is obvious that neither Monday nor Sunday was holiday. So, by elimination holiday was
either on Thursday or on Friday.
Now, from clues (iii) and (iv) we get the following orders
of lectures of B and F
X. B * Holiday F
Y. Holiday F * * B
Reject the possibility ‘Y’ because according to it there must
be at least four lectures after holiday. This is not possible
even when the holiday is on Thursday.
Now, use the possibility ‘X’. If holiday is on Friday, two
lectures (B & E) need to be arranged on Wednesday, which is
not possible. Therefore, the holiday must be on Thursday. And the lectures B and F delivered on Tuesday
and Friday respectively..
Now, from clue (ii):A can’t be delivered either on Monday or on Saturday. Obviously, the lecture A was delivered
on Sunday. This implies that the lecture D was delivered
on Saturday. By elimination, the lecture C was delivered on Monday.
Thus, the whole information can be tabulated as below
7. 5; Thursday